Hey Everyone-
Well, today was not one of my better days. Everything started last night, with Hannah waking every hour or so because of her teeth. We tried dulling the pain with Tylenol, and it didn't seem to do anything for her. The only help was rotating her pacifier with one in the fridge. It is nights like this that make me somewhat relieved that we still allow Hannah to have her nightly pacifier. If she had all of her teeth, it would be a thing of the past, but right now I don't have the heart to take it away. Anyway, she kept waking up and screaming, so needless to say, I was a bit sleepy this morning...oh well, that's what coffee is for, right??
Next came a phone call from my Mom to tell me that my Aunt Lil was not doing well, and that she probably wouldn't make it through the day. I have only briefly mentioned my Aunt's health issues recently, as I have been in more or less a state of shock and a bit of denial about her cancer. Just a month ago, we were having a great time at my parent's house, with Hannah trying to say 'Auntie Lil' and speak French to her. You would have never guessed that the cancer demon had already taken hold. Within a month, she was diagnosed, and now gone. It all seems like a really bad dream. Though I am glad that she passed quickly before she had to suffer much, I am going to be honest, and let my selfish side say that I wasn't ready to lose her. I guess we're never "ready" to lose anyone. She was so feisty and vibrant, I guess I am lucky that my final memories of her are happy ones, and that I didn't have to witness her decline. In case you haven't figured it out, she passed away this afternoon. We are still waiting to find out when the funeral will be, and if we will be home for it, since we fly in on Thursday for my brother's wedding.
To me, Aunt Lil will always be...the Bingo Queen, ready and willing to debate you over gas prices and politics; she was a world traveler who had a fondness for elephants (only if their trunks are up of course); she never missed a birthday or an opportunity to play a practical joke (especially when it came time for trashing wedding night hotel rooms), and she always went out of her way to spoil all of us rotten, even though we weren't her grandchildren; she was one of the few people who could keep my Pepere in line (not an easy task), and she never passed down a chance to tell us all why Maine needed a casino. Most of all, she was an incredibly loved woman, who will be missed tremendously.
Well, I guess I should be going now...Craig just came back from picking up a pizza, and I have a project that I want to finish in my studio before we head East. I hope you all have a great rest of the weekend, and live each moment to its fullest...it's what Aunt Lil would have wanted...
The Family- Thanksgiving 2007
Aunt Lil and Hannah- August 2, 2008
Have a good night everyone...
Love,
Sharon


4 comments:
I'm so sorry to hear about your Aunt Lil! I'm glad that Hannah got to meet her and that you have so many great memories of her to cherish.
Oh, Sharon, I'm so sorry to hear about your Aunt Lil. It sounds like the world lost a beautiful soul. Like Katie said, I'm glad Hannah got to meet her and that you have a lifetime of memories to share.
I'm so sorry honey! If you need anything, I'm here. Far away, but still here!
Oh Sharon! I am so sorry to hear about your Aunt Lil. What a sad event. I hope you were able to make it to her funeral and still enjoy your brother's wedding.
Sincerely, Karla
Post a Comment