September 11th...what it means to me

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Hey Everyone-
So, it is 3:15 PM and it just dawned on me a little while ago that today is September 11th. Huh...what a date. They say that everyone has certain moments in their life that they will never forget exactly what they were doing. Kennedy's assassination, the Atomic Bomb dropping, Pearl Harbor...each moments in history that have touched the lives of everyone. In my life, I remember sitting in Mrs. Kehr's first grade class watching the Challenger explosion...I even remember that the TV we were watching belonged to a classmate named Melissa Bayko. More recently, we had the World Trade Center bombings. Just seven years ago today, Craig and I were looking at a house we wanted to buy in Saco, Maine, when we heard on the radio what had happened in New York. I headed off to my office in Biddeford, and Craig headed back to his parent's house to watch the news. Little did we know that this was going to be one of "those" moments in our lives. We didn't end up buying that cute little house in Saco, but we'll never forget it just the same.
I have another reason to always remember September 11th...it was just one year ago today that we were getting Hannah ready for her second operation. Getting Hannah ready...HA! She had no idea what was going on...we were trying to prepare ourselves for every possible outcome. I remember receiving a package that day from Craig's Aunt Teresa...it was a handmade bear for Hannah. Having something so thoughtful arrive when I was such an emotional mess meant so much!
It is amazing how much life has changed since September 11, 2001 and September 11, 2007. Craig and I got married just 4 days after the bombings, and now we have a beautiful daughter who has become quite the diva. Our "sick" kid who never wanted to eat is now an eating machine, we've survived a move to another country, and all in all, we're doing pretty well.
So, what was this September 11th like?? Well, it started off like any other day, chasing Hannah around the house, lots of laundry, and trying to plan a nice dinner. I wish I could say that it has been a 100% run of the mill day, but that wouldn't be telling the truth. Today I found out that someone very special to me is very sick. I won't go into details, but I can honestly say that today will be yet another September 11th that I will not forget.
In case I don't get to blog again for the next few days, here are some photos I want to share...
September 11, 2007- Craig and Hannah playing with her new bear from Aunt Teresa

September 13, 2007- Hannah, one day after surgery
September 15, 2001- Our wedding day
September 15, 2007- Holding Hannah for the first time after her operation
(Holding my baby was the best gift ever!!)
September 10, 2008- Hannah and Craig- hamming it up for the camera
(It is amazing how much has changed in just one year)
I hope you all have a great week.
Love,
Sharon

1 comments:

Kelly Miller said...

I'm sorry you got bad news today. Those pictures of Hannah from a year ago are precious - she was so tiny. She's grown so much!

 
◄ Design by Pocket