My new glasses are Prada…yes, I said it…Prada. And other than a few select things, these glasses are the only “designer” items I own. And let’s face it, do glasses really count? Do the designers at Prada sit around and dream up designs that will be featured on a runway show?? Maybe, but I tend to doubt it. So, there has been a bit of guilt on my part since it is so not like me to buy something so costly. Mind you, the “cheaper” options weren’t much cheaper, but that’s beside the point.
So, all of this led me to think about my life and what I have. So, here’s my day…in a nutshell.
Hear Hannah on the monitor and get up…slide on slippers made by my Great-Grandmother
Play with Hannah in her room…while she is wearing pjs that belonged to my niece Abby. And then head on downstairs to get breakfast ready.
Serve Hannah breakfast on dishes that belonged to my Nana and Pop. They are vintage Pyrex, and you couldn’t give me a million dollars to part with them.
Play with a Hannah using coloring books that I store on top of Craig’s Grandparent’s hutch
Dress Hannah for the day in an outfit that usually includes at least one piece of clothing that formally belonged to Abby.
Make lunch for Hannah and I, again using Nana and Pop’s dishes, and a few cooking utensils that belonged to my Memere.
Put Hannah down for a nap
While Hannah naps, sneak in some knitting time using Nana’s old knitting needles
Make dinner using more dishes and utensils that belonged to others
Put Hannah to bed…probably in more of Abby’s pjs
Okay, so I exaggerated a bit…Hannah doesn’t wear hand-me-downs every day, but she does wear them a lot. And we do own kitchen gadgets that are brand new, and I do own knitting needles that come straight from Michaels. But you get the point. So much of my life revolves around items given to us by others.
Don’t get me wrong; Craig, Hannah and I don’t go without much. We have to save for what we want, but thankfully Craig’s job has given us the means to live life without much worry (especially since we've moved to Canada). But, being comfortable walking out of a thrift store with a “new” outfit, considering the “used” options before buying “new” all the time, and being thankful for what we have has also contributed much to our comfortable lifestyle.
So, with all that said, yes, I wear Prada glasses…and they look fantastic with my 2nd hand sweater!!!
Have a great weekend everyone!!
Love,
Sharon

0 comments:
Post a Comment