Happy Earth Day!!!

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Hello Everyone!!!
As many of you may know, I am always looking for charities to support...and if I can use them to help teach Hannah a new lesson, even better! Well, I think I came up with a new one, and each of you can help too!!! Our local Ronald McDonald House collects the pull tabs from soda cans, juice cans, fish and meat tins, soups, and cat and dog food tins. They are apparently made of aluminum, whereas much of the cans, tins, etc are made of a mix of aluminum and other alloys. The best part is that you don't need the tab in order to recycle the rest of the cans, or to collect the deposit on the soda cans!!! So, I figure that if we start collecting tabs, Hannah will not only learn about helping others and the environment, but she can also practice her counting!
How can you help?? Well, if you are willing to collect tabs too, please do. You can either mail them to me or check and see if your local Ronald McDonald House also collects them. Here is a link to the Program Description Page...or click here to see where your local house is. For our family and friends who send packages periodically, please consider tucking your tabs into the package...they won't add any significant weight to the package, and can make a big difference to many!!
Why I have I chosen this program to get involved in?? Well, other than the fact that it is so simple to collect tabs, I have always had a soft spot for the Ronald McDonald Charities. We have been blessed enough to live close to the hospitals that Hannah has had her procedures done at. However, when she has her final surgery, it will be in Edmonton, a city that is 3+ hours away. Though we have the resources to pay for a hotel, etc. during this time, so many families do not. Knowing that one's lodging will cost a mere $12 a day must be a huge relief for many families going through a rough period.
As you celebrate Earth Day today, please take this program into consideration. It is an easy way to give back and make a difference!!!! If you have any questions about the program here in Calgary or our local Ronald McDonald House, please click here.
Have a great rest of the week, and a wonderful Earth Day!!!!
Love,
Sharon

2 comments:

Karla said...

Thanks for letting us know about this great charity!

Katie Jones said...

I had already read this post and checked for a Ronald McDonald house I could turn them into in my area before I read your comment! I'm going to start saving them, but I couldn't tell by the search results if there was a house that accepted the donations here in Atlanta. Do you know? If not, I'll just mail them to you.

 
◄ Design by Pocket ►