Fontans and French Cuisine

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Hello Everyone!

Sorry for the delay in posting about Hannah’s Cardiology Appointment…it has been a crazy past few days. Honestly, I don’t have much to report. Hannah’s Cardiologist, Dr. Fruitman, was surprised that we had yet to hear from Edmonton with a surgery date. She is looking into it, and is going to get back to us. Otherwise, Hannah has gained about a pound in the last month, which we were really happy with. She is also getting taller, so the doctors feel that she is growing proportionately. Her O2 sats were also up, so they think that the coils are doing their job.

We spent a bit talking to Dr. Fruitman about what life will be like after Hannah’s Fontan. She will likely be in the hospital for a week or so. Apparently it is common for some of the kids to get fluid build-up in their lungs as a response to the new blood flow. If this happens, they will do one of two things. If she is recovering well from all of the “surgical stuff”, then they may transfer her to Alberta Children’s Hospital in Calgary for recovery, otherwise, they’ll keep her in Edmonton. When they do the procedure, they will put in a pop-off valve that will allow any excess pressures to regulate themselves. This valve will be closed up about a year after her Fontan, and it will be done via a catheter procedure. Because clots can build up at the valve site, Hannah will be on Coumadin for the full year. She may or may not be on her current meds for the rest of her life. There are different opinions regarding the benefits, and our Cardiologist feels that it may be best to stay on the meds. There are other versions of the Captopril that Hannah is currently taking…one that is a pill form! That alone will make our lives so much easier! The stuff that Hannah takes now needs to be refrigerated, so when we travel, we have to lug around a cooler bag with ice packs, etc. We also have to have a doctor’s note with us at all times because of the increased security measures. It is such a pain in the neck!! So, other than all of that, we are just waiting on a date…and mentally preparing ourselves for it.

In other news, I had mentioned in my last post that our night with Anthony Bourdain was quite eye opening for Craig and I. Craig is still shocked that I not only stepped, I took a flying leap out of my comfort zone when we were trying new foods that night. I think he was trying to get me going the next day, when he was reading recipes out of the cookbook we bought…many of them were not quite what I am used to eating. For the most part, I said that I was willing to try the dishes, just not ready to cook them myself. I did perk up when he started reading the desserts though. No liver, brains, hearts, etc in that stuff…hmmm…and I wonder why I have a bit of “cushion” in my mid-section these days!!

One recipe that stood out to us was the Tarte Alsacienne. It looked like an apple pie and a custard pie had a baby, and this was it. I had a bunch of apples kicking around the house, so I thought I’d give it a go. So, last night, I made my first French Dessert!!
Take a peek…



It was exactly what I thought it would be. The apples offered just enough taste to the custard. My only issue was that the custard didn’t want to set up properly…I had to add 10 minutes to the baking time, which meant that my crust got a bit dark. I think next time I will only par-bake the crust (I admit it, I cheated with store-bought dough) to help compensate for the extra baking time. Other than that…delish!!!

Well, that’s enough for now. Tonight I have Knit Night with some friends. It is always nice to get out of the house, have a good cup of coffee and get some knitting done. I’m sure a big topic of discussion will be my new spinning wheel…yes, I bought a spinning wheel…click here for more info on my other blog. This weekend we are hoping to get out to Lake Louise to see the Ice Sculpture Competition. We had so much fun last year…so we’re hoping to see it again. If we do go out, I’ll be sure to post lots of photos!!

Well, I hope 2010 has started off well for each of you!

Cheers!
Sharon

0 comments:

 
◄ Design by Pocket