Hey Everyone!!
Well, here it is, my first "private" post. You'd think that it would be all about some deep dark secrets that I have been dying to tell you all about, but, alas, it's not. Instead, I wanted to share some photos from Craig and my big night out last night!
For Craig's birthday I bought him tickets to see Anthony Bourdain's lecture at the EPCOR Center, here in Calgary. Along with seeing the show, I also got him VIP tickets for a wine and cheese meet and greet session afterwards...oh, and did I mention that we were sitting in the FRONT ROW?!?!
The show was amazing, Anthony was amazing, and the meet and greet after was amazing!!! Sorry this photo of Anthony is so blurry...it was hard to get a good photo from where we were sitting...having only my camera phone didn't help either.

Honestly, going into the show, I thought I'd come away with a few laughs and some good stories...but it was more than that. I've always admired Anthony's ability to blend into his surroundings and make the most of every situation. His desire to submerse himself in local culture, both social and culinary, is outstanding. It was hard not to come away from the show thinking, "Wow, I've missed out on a lot...and I need to make a change."
So, with that said, Craig and I decided to make the most of the meet and greet session...and see how the 'other half" lives. We were surrounded by chefs and various restaurateurs...all very well skilled in food and wine. I did something very out of my comfort zone, and went up to the bar and ordered a glass of wine. It was an open bar, so I figured that if I didn't like it, I wasn't wasting any money. The sommelier decided that I'd like red wine...and it was pretty good! Craig isn't a wine drinker either, but he tried the white, and really enjoyed it. Now I wish we knew what kind they were serving...I might actually try it again!!
As for food, we thought it would be cheese and crackers, but no way! We had roasted potatoes with garlic aioil, smoked arctic char, and fried kalamata olives. Then they came around with some puff pastry filled with ice cream...delish! Then we found out that it was foie gras ice cream!!! I never thought in a million years that I would try foie gras, but I must admit...I loved it! Later on they have sliced foie gras on toasted baguettes, and Craig and I both tried them...yup...we loved that too!! They also had lamb and an oyster bar, but we never made it that far.
Before leaving, we HAD to get our books signed. I brought Craig's copy of Kitchen Confidential from home, and he bought me Anthony's cookbook.
Here we are chatting it up with Chef. Craig was asking him what he thought about his recent trip to Portland. He said that he was a fan, and when Craig wished him safe travels, Anthony paused and thanked him...it was almost as if he doesn't hear that often...weird!

Sorry that this is such a blurry photo...I took it in the car on the way home.

And the prize photo!!! Us with Chef!!!

We had a wonderful time!! Craig has been having some stressful days at work lately, so this was the perfect way to unwind.
I hope all is well with all of you, and I'll be sure to post some Diva photos soon!!!
Cheers!
Sharon

0 comments:
Post a Comment