So much to type about...so little time...

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Hello Everyone!!!!

Sorry I haven't posted in a while...things have been a bit crazy around here the past few days. First, Hannah and I are both sick. We both have stuffy noses, and I have a sore throat (not sure if she does too...). The colds came right after Hannah's extreme case of diaper rash that kept her up ALL night one night last week. I think I maybe got an hour's sleep that night. She just cried and fussed literally, all night!!! I am hoping that we are both on the mend, and should soon be back to our old selves again.





Since I last wrote, we have had some snow. Mind you, it was only 3 inches or so, but when the city doesn't plow, it might as well have been 3 feet! Because the snow is so dry, it just packs down and becomes ice. Here is what the roads look like a few days after the storm...



Since I am talking about the roads, I thought I would take a minute to discuss driving in Calgary. First of all, there are a bunch of street signs that I have never seen before...





What, am I on candid camera?? Nope, they just have speed cameras and red light cameras all over the place.




I think the town planner was drunk the day he planned all of the traffic lights...they're all sideways!!! Oh, and a blinking green arrow means you're safe to go. If it is a solid green, you get a chnace to play real life Frogger!!!


Craig also pointed out that in the states our arrow signs are white with a black arrow...I guess I should have know that...heehee!!!


Then there's this sign I saw today...


What's new??? Somebody please fill me in...


Now, lets talk about speed. I am still trying to get used to things being in metric. This goes for speed limit signs too. I got all excited when I saw this sign that said that the speed limit was 100...until Craig reminded me that it really meant I could go 60 m/ph.



Okay, new topic (sorry, it's been a few days and I have a lot to catch you all up on). Since everyone I talked to seemed to love the 2 Mamas for $4 sign, I thought I would update you all on the latest A&W special.



Am I crazy, or would this kind of thing be on the 6 o'clock news back home??? I am sure a lot of heads have been turning...and I would love to know how many people have left A&W disapointed that the sign meant 2 burgers. Hmmmm...

Oh, our mail is FINALLY being forwarded to us from Maine. WooHoo!!! I love getting bills from another country...and for a house I don't live in anymore!!! Thank you to Peg and Dick for Hannah's Valentine's Day card and Scott and Traci for our belated Christmas letter and photo. I was sure to open them first...since I knew they didn't have a bill. :)

Anyway, here is where our mail comes...



and here is Craig getting the mail yesterday...and he bought me some cold medicine. I love that he takes such good care of me!!!!



He also bought me a Chai Latte from my newest obsession...Second Cup. Don't get me wrong, I will always be a Dunkins girl, but these guys make a damn good cup of coffee. AND...Craig told me that they now have both regular and chocolate whipped cream!!! Woohoo!!!!



So now you are almost caught up to today...this week, we also GOT OUR TRUCKS, and our stuff will be here TOMORROW!!!!!!!! We had a bit of a scare when Rod, the moving truck guy, called us and told us that he was having truck troubles. Up until yesterday night, we thought our stuff was going to take ANOTHER week to get here. Apparently the moving truck is not equipped for the extreme cold temps we have been having, and it was getting sluggish. They were going to have to order parts for it in Montana, but after leaving it inside for the night, they were able to get it back on the road...woohoo!!!! Craig is meeting Rod at the customs place in the morning, and he just told me that he drove by the truck stop near us, and Rod's truck is there...yeah! No more IKEA bed!!!! I miss my pillow-top mattress.

So, now you are caught up to today. Craig, Hannah and I decided to get out of the cold and head over to the Devonian Gardens, after having brunch at Ricky's (sort of like a Canadian Friendly's). Hannah got all dressed up, and then snacked on my pancakes...


Then off to the garden we went. Here are some random photos that we took. The gardens are inside the TD Canada building, and they are beautiful!!! Not only do they have wonderful gardens, but they also have a Koi pond and turtle pond. By the way, thanks Jon, Eva, Mitch, and Olivia for the book of Calgary attractions. You will see Hannah looking through the book in a few of the photos.






Finally, we came home and Hannah practiced her crawling. She played on the stairs, and got up on all fours!!! She can scoot backwards...we're still working on forwards. She also wanted to show off her new shirt we bought for her. The letters mean "Lovely" in Mandrin. We tried getting one in a bigger size for our niece Hailey, but it only came in baby sizes...we couldn't resist.

Well, that should be enough to get you all caught up. Please keep your fingers crossed that all goes well tomorrow with the move. I'll post more when I can.
(Sorry for any typos, I am on cough medicine and the spell check isn't working)
Take care and have a great week!!!
~Sharon~

1 comments:

happygeek said...

Yes, the traffic planners were drunk, that is why the traffic is sooo bad, but the lights are sideways because it is quite windy in Calgary and they are less likely to be blown around.

 
◄ Design by Pocket