A week of firsts

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Hey Everyone!!
So, I am in the process of going through all of the photos that I took while Craig's parents were visiting, as well as all of the photos I took during the move.

In the meantime, I wanted to share a few of Hannah's big week.  On Monday she started pre-k at St. Martha's Catholic Elementary School.  About a week and a half prior, she had attended the preview day, which was a big help!!  We knew Hannah would be starting a few days late (3 to be exact) and we wanted to make her transition as smooth as possible.  Thankfully, we were in Edmonton the same day as her preview, so she was able to meet her teachers, a few other students and see the classroom ahead of time.

Hannah has been so funny about school.  She is in the afternoon class, so she gets to sleep in a bit each morning.  It is making meals a bit difficult, as she isn't awake long enough for me to feed her a breakfast and lunch before she starts at noontime.  However, if I don't give her enough food, she is starving by the time she is dismissed at 3.  I'm sure we'll find a balance before too long.  So, she begs me to let her sleep in every morning, but once she is awake, she is begging me to take her to school!! 

She has made friends with several of the other kids in her class and she even helped one of the little girls who was having some separation anxiety last week. (I had the little girl's Dad pull me aside to thank me for Hannah's help!) 

All in all, she is doing great and her teachers are fantastic!!  They recognized Hannah's interest in reading and planets and they found a book at the library for her.  They also set up a buddy system with the 5th grade class and several older students come in each day to spend time with the pre-k kids.  Hannah has been working on her reading with one of the older girls, and it is paying off!!!  The other day we were out shopping and Hannah was reading every sign we walked past.  I am so proud of her progress!!

This week ended with Hannah's first horseback riding lesson.  We signed her up at maple Leaf Meadows and it is only 10 minutes or so from the house.  Hannah did great, with no fear whatsoever!!  She volunteered to get on the horse first, and she and "Montana" bonded quickly.  She cannot wait to go back next week, and I am pretty anxious too!!  I get to lead her around so it is a great time for both of us.  Though I know riding is an expensive sport, it is one that she can do without any heart issues, and after seeing her light up on Friday, I hope she sticks with it...no matter the cost!!

Have a great rest of the weekend everyone and I'll post more when I can!!

Cheers!
Sharon

1 comments:

Teresa said...

What a week for the Giles family in Canada! I am so happy for all of you that Hannah is having such a good time in her new home!
Also... Happy Anniversary!

 
◄ Design by Pocket